Dechambeau Putting

Dechambeau Putting  

By: Nick W on Sept. 21, 2020, 8:42 p.m.

Hi Tyler,
Bryson’s bulking and swing speed have received most of the attention, but his putt improvement is the most impressive to me.
Do you think his arm lock style is more effective than traditional putting? Or has he just been able to really practice well and read greens better? It seems he has found something that is really game changing in putting, but how he did it is not quite as obvious to me.

Nick

Re: Dechambeau Putting  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 27, 2020, 9:14 a.m.

I'm not sold that it's "more consistent" or anything. Keep in mind that the tour standard is about +/- .4 degrees control at impact. Even with the putter "locked", .4 degrees of movement of the wrist is very possible. I'm a fan of high ulnar deviation in putting. It helps prevent some poor face control patterns. And I think the arm lock can help with that, but it doesn't guarantee it any more than just trying to work on it.

That said, he puts in a lot of hard work to make his technique very repeatable and impressive :)

By: Rick T on Sept. 28, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

Hi Tyler. Can you explain your comment " I'm a fan of high ulnar deviation in putting". What does that mean/look like and why (compared with other styles(?).? Thanks

Last edited by: Rick T on Sept. 28, 2020, 7:42 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Oct. 4, 2020, 5:05 p.m.

Rick, Ulnar deviation puts a bunch of ligaments on tension. So it kinda locks out the wrist and provides high feedback. A number of great putters (like Brad Faxon) did it instinctively. In order to get the extended putter shaft in line with the forearms, you'll have to have the wrist more ulnar deviated.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.