Lost Art of Putting Book

Lost Art of Putting Book  

By: Nick W on Aug. 2, 2020, 6:31 p.m.

Hello All,
I just shot an 80 at fairly easy course that I play often. My previous best there was 81, which I’d done four times.

I shot this score with probably my worst ball striking day of the summer. I really don’t even feel like I played well, despite my personal record score.

How’d I do it? Well, it’s only been one round so it could have been a fluke, but I had just read the Lost Art of Putting and it helped me to one of my best putting days ever.

The changes I made were almost embarrassingly simple to lead to this type of improvement.
1) Really concentrate on the b-ball and don’t look at the putter
2) Breathe in and out through your nose while walking to and on the green.
3) Ask yourself before every putt, “Is it possible that I could make this putt?”

That’s it. I had 5 one putts (tied for my record), a number of very long two putts and two 3 putts on tough holes. The only round I’ve ever had less putts required a chip in.

Obviously, I’d recommend reading the book. It may not work for everyone (and these results may have been a fluke for me), but I really felt different while putting today. Those simple chants unlocked my ability to use the much improved form I’ve learned through GSA.

Let me know if anyone else has read it!

Nick

Re: Lost Art of Putting Book  

By: John C on Aug. 5, 2020, 9:17 a.m.

Nick,
While I haven't read the book, your points are well taken. Good putting is really about finding a process that works, and it sounds like you incorporated elements from the book to create a positive process. Letting go of the result (making or missing, micro-managing club face) and focusing on process is key. Good job and keep up the good work.

By: Tyler F on Aug. 5, 2020, 9:29 a.m.

I once had dinner with Stan Utley. He brought up a conversation he had with Brad Faxon about how neither of them every tried to make a putt. They were so involved with the process that all they tried to do was start a ball online with the speed they wanted. If they did that, they felt like they putted well.

As John said, sounds like you had some good process focus. Keep it up!

By: Nick W on Aug. 5, 2020, 1:03 p.m.

To add a little more color on what I used to feel vs. just one round of the new mindset. When I addressed a putt, I used to get a similar sensation to being on the top of a rollercoaster about to go down a big drop (and I hate rollercoasters).

My last round, my emotions felt more like I was shooting a free throw (a much more comfortable and confident feeling for me).

I'd also add that this emotional management would not have been nearly as helpful if I had not cleaned up my mechanics significantly over the past few months. I think it would have been much harder to have a calm mind when my posture and stroke were not in good shape, which would have led to some bad putts.

Thanks for the kind words!

Nick

By: Tyler F on Aug. 9, 2020, 10:23 a.m.

A sports psychologist once told me that the psychology side is about 5% of sports. He worked with track and field mostly. He said, "no way of thinking will make someone a full second faster." So yes, technique work in a sport like golf creates a higher potential. Improving your emotional management will help you access that more often, but it won't move the ceiling as much as the technical work you've done. That said, I think working on the emotional side is really helpful for enjoying your game as well. So definitely keep it up!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.