Ulnar Deviation impact on Right and left side bend

Ulnar Deviation impact on Right and left side bend  

By: Mark E on May 18, 2020, 9:24 a.m.

Hi Tyler
I have always wondered about the best timing for ulnar deviation and most importantly my personal feel to achieve this timing. By personal feel I mean when in the swing should I feel it. It seems like right from the top might be one possibility. Also if you have early right side bend and a slide and inadequate left side bend in transition does the shallowing of ulnar deviation discourage this early right side bend? Would feeling ulnar early discourage early right side bend in your opinion?Also would you need to offset early ulnar by left side bend?
Thanks

Last edited by: Mark E on May 18, 2020, 3:41 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

Re: Ulnar Deviation impact on Right and left side bend  

By: Tyler F on May 24, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

+Mark E Good question. The ideal timing of the ulnar deviation just after the lead leg pushes vertically. That vertical push helps trigger the side bend movement and upward movement of the lead shoulder which helps trigger the ulnar deviation. The timing is a little different for each golfer, but it's usually right around delivery position.

You are correct that early right side bend can delay the ulnar deviation because it prevents the lead leg from pushing effectively against the ground. So oftentimes you will have to work on ulnar deviation and less right side bend simultaneously.

Sounds like you're on to something :)

Tyler

By: Mark E on May 26, 2020, 2:23 p.m.

Thanks Tyler
Nice to hear it makes some sense:)
Is there any info on timing of maximum left knee bend?
I think I max out in the backswing and perhaps elite golfers max out post transition? I am straightening the left knee in transition. Part of a arm pull down pattern?
Any support for this concept?

By: Mark E on June 22, 2020, 6:34 p.m.

Bump

By: Tyler F on June 26, 2020, 11:27 a.m.

+Mark E Hey Mark, sorry I missed this one in May. The timing of the lead knee reaching max bend is during transition of the downswing. Here's a graph of Grant Waite and the timing of when the green line peaks. Yes, early straightening of the leg can be associated with an arm pull down pattern.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.