Backfoot in Jamaica..

Backfoot in Jamaica..  

By: Kevyn C on Aug. 24, 2020, 1 p.m.

Tyler managed to get my swing from dreadful to barely manageable.Seems to have regressed.
Contact issues(fat/thin).Overdraw&pulldraw.
Working on trying to wipe with the trail arm,sometimes get the feeling in trail arm only drills(sometimes)and pump drills,but very rarely in the full swing.Cannot seem to get weight forward enough to wipe properly.
Initial thoughts,looking at swing in slo mo would be too much lateral movement of the upper axis P1-4.
Fed up looking at P8.....
k.
Edit:just reread what I had written,apologies.I meant it had regressed since I stopped working with him!We did some work some time ago and it was extremely helpful.

Last edited by: Kevyn C on Aug. 24, 2020, 8:29 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

Re: Backfoot in Jamaica..  

By: Kevyn C on Aug. 25, 2020, 6:14 p.m.

Worked on spine extension to P4 and keeping hubs more centered.Slight improvement...

By: Tyler F on Aug. 28, 2020, noon

Kevyn, I think you're in the right ballpark. See if my video helps add any direction :)

By: Kevyn C on Sept. 1, 2020, 9:43 a.m.

Thanks Tyler,hit it great yesterday after working with the pool noodle.Dont quite understand the shoulder extension part though...
Will spend some time on this and then we can set up a virtual lesson if that’s ok?

By: Kevyn C on Sept. 15, 2020, 6:48 p.m.

Seem to be shade better,just have a question regarding bracing and if there are any connected videos on GSA?
As you can see in the video,Robert Rocks head moves down and forward throughout the delivery/impact and mine goes backwards.There are also many Tour level players who move the head away from the target through impact.Im just trying to find a connection.
Do I go backwards because I’m used to straightening the right arm and need to make room(in which case back to wipe drills),or is my arm straightening because I’m going backwards(in which case noodle drills).
I’ve added a practice swing to illustrate.
On a good note,played well last weekend,around level par from the tips...
Thanks Tyler!

Last edited by: Kevyn C on Sept. 15, 2020, 7:49 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Sept. 20, 2020, 10:47 a.m.

The simple answer is that he appears to be rotating his trunk through more the front side of his body (obliques) with some help from his trail glute. You appear to be rotating more with your back with some help from your lead quad. This combo creates a tilt. Also, because your pelvis is already past your upper body, it makes the backup move more likely.

See the pictures below.

Good job on the par round :)

By: Kevyn C on Sept. 24, 2020, 9:23 a.m.

Without doubt,one of the most difficult things you’ve asked me to do,but certainly very effective.Its difficult to change the initiation of the downswing from arm pull to oblique crunch.Easier in a drill,really tough in a swing.Im experimenting with ways to bridge the gap between drill and full swing.
But thanks Tyler,great input as always!

By: Kevyn C on Sept. 24, 2020, 6:36 p.m.

This helped,thought I might share it.

By: Kevyn C on Sept. 30, 2020, 10:50 a.m.

Slo Mo swings helping a lot.I can actually start to sense my arms being brought down by the trunk/obliques.

Baby steps...

By: Tyler F on Oct. 5, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

Here is a quick thought on transition. It's looking better, but yes, changing power sources is harder than just changing positions!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.