Learning to swing harder

Learning to swing harder  

By: Matt B on Aug. 22, 2020, 7:47 p.m.

Hello all,

I have been really enjoying the content, and have had some steady improvement utilizing the drills and concepts, especially with ulnar deviation and turning through the lead arm. As the offseason gets closer for me, I'm looking at how to add some swing speed over the winter. Since learning to use my body more efficiently, I "feel" as if I have a lot left in the tank on my swings, but when I swing harder my sequencing suffers and I tend to drag the handle. Any success stories or advice on how to gain speed that can be transferred on course?

Re: Learning to swing harder  

By: Tyler F on Aug. 23, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

Hi Matt,

Glad you're enjoying the content. As with everything golf-related, I like to have a plan. Not knowing anything about your swing, I would normally attack distance by addressing the following questions:
Am I maximizing my current speed?
What are the likely places I could increase speed?

For maximizing my current speed, I'd look at compression/dynamic loft, launch, spin, and centeredness of contact.
For gaining speed (if I'm maximizing already) I'd look at length of backswing or during the downswing I'd look at the use of legs, core, wrists.

If I'm not wanting to tweak technique, then I'd look at gaining speed from a body perspective. Some people are naturally strong and need more speed training. Others are naturally fast and need more strength training. Others benefit more from flexibility training.

As far as just speeding up the swing, this can be tricky. There are some options, like speed sticks, Mach3 ropes, and things like the orange whip. If your path isn't close to neutral (more than 4 degrees I'd guess) then these tools can influence your consistency.

Hopefully this gives you a few things to think about. See below for a video case study of someone who also felt there was more "in the tank"

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/case-study-gaining-distance-quickly/

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.