Takeaway and foot slide

Takeaway and foot slide  

By: Mark E on July 9, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

Hi
I am struggling with my takeaway being very shut and inside.Also frequently my rear foot slides back as is evident in this video. Is this evidence of incorrect ground forces? Any other thoughts on my swing are also welcome.
Thanks

Re: Takeaway and foot slide  

By: Tyler F on July 12, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

+Mark E It does look like there isn't much arm rotation, so the trail hand is on top, maybe a bit too much. You'll want that lead elbow pointing more out instead of down at the ground. Try the "turn and grab" drill. Don't worry so much about the centered pivot idea, but focus on the idea of where the palms face - https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/turn-and-grab/

As far as the foot. It looks like your pelvis is rising and knees are straightening immediately during the transition. This can happen from the quads getting active too soon. It's more of a quick impulse of force instead of a gradual build in transition.

The foot sliding backwards is normal. That's the direction the foot should travel if for some reason you lost friction. In your case, it's losing friction because the pelvis is raising when it should be lowering.

By: Mark E on July 13, 2020, 7:39 a.m.

Thanks Tyler
I was actually trying to prevent the humerus from rotating and having all rotation below the elbow. Should the humerus rotate? I assume it has to to have the elbow point out. is there any shoulder internal rotation involved?

Very good observation about the quads and lack of friction.
Do you have any info on how to reduce quad involvement? After you mentioned it I realize I am engaged like I am jumping very early in the backswing. Should the quads have no tension till transition?

By: Tyler F on July 17, 2020, 9:06 a.m.

Yes, the humerus should have some rotation to it, but how much depends on the amount of internal rotation of the shoulder at set up. We still don't have a good data set of shoulder motion. So, unfortunately, we have to go off video to look at this piece.

Typically in transition, the knees will actually flex as the pelvis lowers slightly. This helps push against the ground to create more friction and force. Perhaps trying the single-leg preset drill will help. https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/presetting-single-leg-jump/

By: Mark E on July 23, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Thanks, I think a great topic for a video would be quad dominant versus Glute dominant swing.

By: Tyler F on July 26, 2020, 9:20 a.m.

Good suggestion, I'll give it some thought and add it to my list!

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.