distance from ball

distance from ball  

By: Michael N on Sept. 6, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

I’m watching the tour championship.

The commentators are talking about how DJ and his coach moved him closer (his feet) to the ball after yesterday’s round. It also looks like Rahm is very close to the ball. I ever noticed Rahm’s distance before, maybe it has always been that close.

Anyway…

I would think that a player of DJ’s caliber would have a pretty good idea what his optimal distance to the ball is, and he would be able to duplicate that without a coach altering it in the middle of a 4 day event? I guess I’m naïve in that regard and that even the best slip and need to have the optimal stance viewed and adjusted. What is your personal experience and thoughts on that?

Looking at the 1 and 2 players in the world with feet close to the ball; is this a trend or just a nuance of their swing? Mcilroy seems to be relatively far from the ball in relationship to DJ and Rahm; JT in the middle.

Dj and Rahm are tall; 6-4 6-3 is that relevant in their distance to the ball v Mcilroy 5-9. You look about 6-0 or 6-1 and seem to be in the middle of DJ and Mcilroys position. Here again is the height relevant.

I have come to believe that I was historically (when I wasn’t too good) too close to the ball and in the past few years as I have gotten better I have moved farther away. So DJ and Rahm’s closeness is a curiosity. I’m 5-11

Do you find that this distance to the ball varies for a player in the course of his her season or career? Or is it more a thing where once you get it the proper distance it should be set and the challenge is keeping it

Your thoughts appreciated or you can address this in a video for the entire community.

Michael

Re: distance from ball  

By: Tyler F on Sept. 8, 2020, 1:55 p.m.

Here's a video discussion, hopefully this helps clear things up for you.

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.