Extension of Spine on Backswing

Extension of Spine on Backswing  

By: Mark E on Oct. 22, 2019, 10:24 a.m.

I saw on Chris Como’s show on Golf Channel that Golftecs 6d analysis of Tour pros has the average tour pro moving from forward flexion to extension by the time the club is parallel to the ground on the takeaway. This seems early to me. I tried swinging this way and it felt easier to load the right glute and swing the arms into a good position but it was just a quick feeling.
Does your data support this early of a spinal extension on the backswing? Do any of your videos discuss this timing of extension and side bend?
Thanks

Last edited by: Mark E on Oct. 22, 2019, 3:42 p.m., edited 2 times in total.

Re: Extension of Spine on Backswing  

By: Tyler F on Oct. 22, 2019, 8:35 p.m.

+Mark E Are they saying that the golfers are reaching extension at P1 (club parallel in the backswing)? Here are a couple of graphs. Steve Elkington and Grant Waite. You'll see that the golfers are STARTING to go into extension at that point, but they won't reach extension until near the top of the swing.
I have a video on extending to end the spine, but I don't talk about the timing in it.

Your question fits my goal of the forum. I hope other students with questions about the timing will enjoy seeing 3D graphs related to the topic. Sometimes data has issues, but in general you can't fight the data :)

By: Mark E on Oct. 24, 2019, 9:39 p.m.

Thanks Tyler
I watched again and the Golftec teacher told Chris Como you should “feel” fully extended at shaft parallel.He didn’t use P2 but that was the position.
The actual graphics show Chris went from 40 degrees at address to 30 degrees of forward bend at P2 which fit within Golftecs Tour player averages.
So the feel is zero but the sensors show 30 degrees forward bend.
Golfte c also has a “ shoulder sway “ parameter that their model says 3.8 “ towards the target at P2 is within the parameters. Training it looks like a significant flexion reduction between P1 and P2

It seems you are saying that your data shows a later extension than Golftecs.
I’ve uploaded screen shot of the before and after with the before on the left.
I’m curious if you see any benefit to this feel of early loss of flexion coupled with side bend.

It would be interesting to get Chris Como’s take on what he was being told to do.
I don’t know if you’ve seen his show but he basically allows different teachers to give their take without interjecting his own opinions. So every week you get divergent ideas.
PS It looks like there are 2 Grant Waite graphs and I don’t see Elkingtons.

Last edited by: Mark E on Oct. 24, 2019, 9:44 p.m., edited 4 times in total.

By: Tyler F on Oct. 29, 2019, 7:51 a.m.

+Mark E
I don't know if they still use the same hardware as 5 years ago, but at that time, the golftec sensors were the same Polhemus sensors that AMM uses. The difference is the calibration process. Since they don't do a calibration, the linear movements will take a bit of interpretation.

It does sound like it's more of a feel than a real. Probably trying to counteract people having too much flex at the top. The pattern has to start earlier.

Sorry for the mistake, I attached Elkington's on this post. As well as an upright image from the show :)

Last edited by: Tyler F on Oct. 29, 2019, 7:53 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Subscribe now for full access to our video library.