Golf shots - controlling spin and knockdown shots

Golf shots - controlling spin and knockdown shots  

By: Mark C on March 25, 2022, 2:50 p.m.

Hi Tyler,
Wondering if you can help with some discussion around the above, as after watching the Players last weekend I am wondering if you can elaborate on a couple of types of shots that were played?
I notice some players create more spin or less spin on their wedges shots, wondering how this is done, also at what distance can you expect some spin or not?
Also the knockdown shots into the wind, what is the set up and strategy with these?
Look forward to your response in due course, have a great weekend.
Cheers, Mark

Re: Golf shots - controlling spin and knockdown shots  

By: Tyler F on March 25, 2022, 4:34 p.m.

Hi Mark,

Spin comes down to a handful of factors. Club and ball design have an influence, but the major factors are:
1. Club Speed
2. Spin Loft (difference between loft at impact and angle of attack (aoa))
3. Friction (contact location and clean contact)

So for a lot of the "knockdown" or "punch shots" into the wind. The golfers would take more club and swing easier. The lower loft naturally creates less spin loft, and it allows them to swing slower to get the same distance. On the extreme versions, they will play the ball back of center a bit and hit it more with the body. If you move the ball back and swing normal, oftentimes you don't change the spin loft, just the aoa). So using the body is key to increasing the aoa while lowering spin.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any follow up questions,

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.