Battling Early Extension

Battling Early Extension  

By: Ed C on Dec. 2, 2023, 9:58 p.m.

I think I'm a lower body dominant early extender, who likes to feel like I'm generating power & speed from the legs.

In these swings, I'm working on feeling the core engaged to stay in posture on the downswing; and supinating the forearms through impact to close the face. I could do much better with rotating the hips open while keeping the shoulders closed to the target, and also rotating the torso more in the backswing.

DTL - This swing is my very common miss: high toe, low pull, currently unplayable; I just pull 3W when I hit driver this poorly
FO - This swing actually produced a high and straight ball flight, and I am puzzled as to why

Re: Battling Early Extension  

By: Ed C on Dec. 7, 2023, 10:51 a.m.

Updated DTL swing after practicing these drills for a week:

(A) merry go round
(B) head on a pillow

Also fixed the low pull hook by adjusting my setup to play a fade, from neutral. Much better contact, consistency and dispersion now, although it’s steep and I’m pretty sure the spin rate is over 3000 rpm. But it’s a playable swing now.

I’d like to figure out how to get more shallow…

Re: Battling Early Extension  

By: Tyler F on Dec. 9, 2023, 5:39 a.m.

Glad you had a good week of practice. I think you're in the right ball park with the head on a pillow/merry-go-round combination.

When I look at your swing, I see more of a shoulder rotation issue than I see a pure early extension issue. The early extension is there, but it's late and not severe at all. So it's likely more of a compensation, rather than a primary issue.

With your shoulders that left, and your right shoulder somewhat high, and your whole body hanging back a bit, if you did supinate you'd tend to hit a smother hook. I think the feeling of a supination likely gets your arms less pulled across to the left and helps get a more shallow path.

As far as getting more shallow arms, I don't think the arms are too far off shallowness-wise but they look steeper because of the early spin of the shoulder blades.

Good luck!

Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.