Hanging back?

Hanging back?  

By: Dave S on Feb. 22, 2024, 2:01 p.m.

Tyler, new member here. I’ve uploaded a driver and 7 iron swing.

For the driver, I am trying to feel like clipping the tees from the “3 tee driver” drill video. However, I really hang back.

For the iron, my dynamic loft is 32 degrees..very high ball flight.

Which video drills do you think I should focus on?

Re: Hanging back?  

By: Tyler F on Feb. 26, 2024, 8:48 a.m.

Hi Dave,

I think you'll get the most bang for the buck from working on your release, but that can mean doing shorter and slower swings, which not every golfer loves doing.

In the driver swing recording, you'll see the shoulders pull around the body through impact. That gives the look at the end of the video of the chicken wing and the hangback. It's apparent in the iron too, but a little less so. Either way, I would always start with some form of 9 to 3 with the goal of getting to some version of hit hard stop short. If you have a hard time stopping short in the finish, then it's a classic sign that you are hitting it too much with your shoulders and arms and not enough with your hips, legs, and core.

Perhaps you can post a video of a 9 to 3? Do you still hang back in shorter swings?
Tyler

By: Dave S on Feb. 29, 2024, 2:43 p.m.

Tyler, thanks for the reply.

I actually love going to the range and working on drills. I’m a proud range rat. Here are 3 videos doing the “Hit hard, stop” drill. I really noticed the contact feeling “flushed/solid” while doing this drill. Let me know what you think.

Dave

By: Dave S on March 8, 2024, 3:54 p.m.

More videos
2- 7 iron videos
1- Driver video

The 7 iron angle of attack average is about 2 down and dynamic loft about 31. I’m doing the hit hard and stop drill, then trying to tuck in the trail elbow with the motorcycle movement with proper release in the pre-swing and then full swing with ball.

By: Tyler F on March 17, 2024, 9:03 a.m.

If you look at the screenshots, when you do the drill/practice swing and create shaft lean, the clubface is about 20 degrees open. It's even open about a foot past impact. Then when you make the actual swing, you break down that left arm. It could be to help create speed, it could be to close the face. But if you're doing the hit hard and stop short drill, this is way too big of a finish (see the last picture). It looks like you're doing a practice swing trying to stop short, but not the drill. The drill actually involves hitting a ball. A long finish is common when the lead arm breaks down. The break down is a lowering of the left shoulder, a bending of the lead elbow and an extension of the lead shoulder (pulling it behind your body). It looks like the lead arm needs some training, so I'd probably do some left arm only shots to help with your ability to do the hit hard and stop short drill.

Happy Golfing,
Tyler

By: Dave S on March 26, 2024, 9:42 p.m.

Here are some single arm videos. I posted 2 lead arm videos, 1 trail arm video and 1 full 7 iron swing. I’m left handed so the trail arm shots were a challenge. Do you think I need more body rotation when completing these shots?

By: Tyler F on March 31, 2024, 11 a.m.

The lead arm looks really good. It could use a little more body rotation, but it's overall it's very good. I would use that to help train the trail hand. I'd pause the left hand swings at different places, then put the right hand on to see how it feels. The trail hand appears to be where the throw/flip comes from, even though you have more body rotation with that hand. Gotta do some trail arm training, OR you can basically swing with your lead arm and take some of the power out of the trail side.

Happy golfing,
Tyler

Subscribe now for full access to our video library.